Giant can of garbanzo beans


Dan and I went to Costco together.  This is never a good idea, because while I might make an impulse purchase; it will be under $20.  But when Dan goes, we really overspend.  I try to stay under $300 a week for expenses total.  Dan's Costco cart is greater than $300.

So the other day we went shopping together and nearing the end with our overpriced cart, this woman stops us and comments on the 8-pack of black beans in our cart.  And then goes on to tell us how amazing this giant can of garbanzo beans is.  It's almost 7 pounds of beans.  And how we can can make tons of falafel and all the different recipes online, but make sure we bake them, not fry them....   Finally I realize she is not going to stop until I put the giant can of beans in my cart.  It's $2.99.  Why not.  Dan thought I was an idiot.

Well so it sat there in my pantry for a week.  It taunted me.  See I had to use it soon or Dan would mention it.   Every day I thought I should have put that thing back, left it with the cashier.   So I opened it Tuesday night, determined to make falafel.   I looked at no less then 10 recipes and figured "hey,  I'm just going to throw stuff together."  And I made them.  We ate greek chicken in pita with tzakiki sauce and falafel.   Nick, Nina, Dan and I ate them,  but Tascha would have none of it.  But that only used 2 cups of them.  Down 2 cups of beans.  Barely making a dent.   

On Wednesday night I decide to chicken curry and chana masala.   At first, I used 2 cups but when I tried to just blend up a tiny bit all of it got sucked into the immersion blended and I had to add more.  So another 3+ cups gone. But there's so many left and now I have ton of chana masala left over.

So I looked up some recipes.  Years ago I made a chocolate cake with chickpeas and no one noticed.  This time I made the mistake of asking them if they would eat it.  "Absolutely no" was the resounding answer, so I didn't even bother.  Finally I scooped out 4 more cups of beans and made more Falafel.  This time using our Seekh Kebab recipe, no meat, just beans.   This was much much better. 

In the end, I had to freeze the rest of the beans, there is no way we can eat any more.
I showed him.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment:)